Autumn Linzer Cookies, made with butternut squash and filled three ways.
I love cookie cutters, don't you? Since I moved to Vermont, my cutter collection has veered toward moose and maple leaves, which I have in multiple sizes. My newest addition is an Autumn Linzer cutter, spring-loaded, with several interchangeable center shapes. So to give it a trial run, I made some squash-based Linzer cookies, to fill with lemon-pomegrate curd, nutella and capuccino ganache. And what a cute result!
Autumn Linzer Cookies
1/2 cup roasted squash or pumpkin
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup almond flour (or very finely processed blanched almonds)
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 T corn starch
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 lb (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened slightly
- Preheat oven to 325F (300F if convection)
- In food processor bowl with blade attached, puree the squash.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, yolks and process until smooth. Add the almond flour, all-purpose flour, corn starch, cinnamon, and salt. Process until smooth.
- Add the unsalted butter, and process until combined.
- Place the dough between sheets of waxed paper and place in freezer to solidify for 20 minutes.
- Roll out on floured countertop to 1/8" thick:
- With cutters of your choice, cut out disks for bottoms and tops. Make additional cutouts on the tops using either a Linzer cutter, or another cutter or knife. You can even use things like plastic pen caps to cut small shapes. Place cut cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes or until fully cooked but NOT brown. Cool on rack
- Fill: Place a teaspoon of filling on each bottom cookie and press top cookie on gently.
Use appropriately-colored fillings for the shapes or designs on the tops. For instance, I used Nutella for the acorn shapes, and melted Capuccino chips for the squirrels.
For the maple leaves, I made a lemon curd, and added some pomegranate juice:
Combine in saucepan: Juice of 1 lemon, 2 egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 T Butter 2 tsp corn starch. Stir well to combine.
- Serve with hot mulled cider, or milk and tea. Refrigerate leftover lemon curd-filled cookies.